What is the opportunity?
Summit Leaders is a volunteer initiative dedicated to providing entrepreneurship experience to Canadian high school students. The goal of the initiative is to educate and motivate youth to become leaders and entrepreneurs.
In Calgary, Summit Leaders has partnered with Lord Beaverbrook High School to host a startup competition for Business-20/30 students. The program will include five workshops on business fundamentals (idea generation, strategy, marketing, financial analysis, and presentation) which will prepare students to present a final pitch to a panel of judges.
Summit Leaders is planned and executed by volunteers. The team includes volunteers from a variety of backgrounds such as management consulting, law, and finance. Summit Leaders also relies on high-performing undergraduate and masters students to help coach student groups through the program.
What will you do?
Along with the Calgary program leaders, you will help to plan and execute the program by:
- Helping teach business fundamentals through a variety of in-class exercises, case studies, and examples
- Collaborating with students (in person and remotely) to refine their pitches; providing feedback on business model, strategy, marketing, and financials
- Designing workshop exercises that are relevant and engaging for students
The program runs from February 2nd to late April and consists of five workshops (held at Lord Beaverbrook High School on Fridays) and a final competition held at the McKinsey & Company office in Calgary.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for 6 – 8 University of Calgary students to serve as mentors for the 2018 Summit Leaders Program. The student mentors will be assisted by 2 McKinsey Consultants who are leading the program. Ideal candidates will be excited to facilitate in-class discussion, provide coaching and feedback, and define the in-class exercises.
- Outgoing 3rd or 4th year undergraduate or masters student (any year)
- Strong grasp of business fundamentals (marketing, financial statements, presentation)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; comfortable working with groups of students
- Experience with business case competitions or startup events
- Completion of a university class in entrepreneurship
- Availability to attend five workshops (held on Friday’s at Lord Beaverbrook High School for 1.5 hours) with additional availability to collaborate with students remotely via email
- Member of the Haskayne Consulting Club
How to apply:
- Ensure you are a paid member of HCC. If you are not yet a member, please register on our website: https://haskayneconsulting.wordpress.com/applynow/
- Please fill out this Google form and ensure that you attach your resume at the end of the form. This Google form consists of the application for 3 opportunities: consulting projects, internships, and McKinsey Summit Leaders. Note that all 3 applications are independent (i.e. your application/answers for consulting projects will not affect your application for the internships). Please be advised that the application deadline is January 17, 2018, Wednesday at midnight and that we encourage students to apply early as we will be reviewing all applications on an ongoing basis. https://goo.gl/forms/G8XhWx1BwbJoJKwN2
- Interviews will be held on January 20 and 21, 2018, Saturday and Sunday. We appreciate all applicants’ interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted for interviews.
- Phone interviews with McKinsey consultants will be held on January 27, 2018, Saturday.
- For further questions about the recruitment process, please contact our Director of Recruitment, Celina Pablo at firstname.lastname@example.org.