These internships will give students the opportunity to gain real life part-time work experience whilst continuing their studies.
Looking for 1 student intern
We’re Hop, a craft compost company.
Hop is a certified B Corp, committed to diversity and Living Wage standards for our team. We set out to solve the chemical growth and waste of food.
Hop built Canada’s first inner-city compost facility in Calgary, and following significant demand, expanded to Vancouver. Having operated since February 2015, Hop has saved over 4 million pounds of waste from landfill. The thing that makes us unique is our cleantech. It computerizes compost production, using live data to tweak sealed compost conditions every minute. As a result, Hop is odor free, so can operate in urban areas for unusually efficient waste hauling. In addition, Hop’s product has roughly eight times more nutrients than standard compost, enabling unusually productive crop growth for urban and organic farms.
Hop service clients include award-winning brands such as Monogram and Market, local favourites such as Caffe Rosso and Village Ice Cream, and scaled players such as Earls and DavidsTea. Hop’s product is carried on shelves at retailers such as Whole Foods, and is used by the majority of urban farms in Calgary, including the YYC Growers and Grow Calgary. We’re currently expanding across multiple cities in Canada.
What we are looking for
We are seeking a part time intern to start immediately for the Hop Calgary cleantech compost facility.
- Minimum 10 hours per week
- Fast-paced and independent startup culture
- Saving 4,000,000 pounds of food waste from local landfill
Hop’s Business Intern will be responsible for:
- QuickBooks management
- Receivables management
- Payables management
- Month end, quarter end, and year end deliverables
- Financial statement prep, budget comparisons, bank reconciliations
- KPI tracking and reporting
- Operations data entry and analysis
- Grant identification and writing
Being a startup, there’s much more to Hop’s roles than the immediate duties, and we expect a successful candidate to advance Hop’s quality and operating practices by contributing to business decisions.
The successful candidate must have an eye for detail and take pride in his/her work; exhibit a passion for teamwork; and be ready for a fast-paced environment with plenty of change.
Hop isn’t easy, but it is very rewarding. Ready to create the future for our sustainable local food industry?
Looking for 2-3 student interns
About Legado Capital
Legado Capital is private equity search fund that seeks to acquire companies and create value through actively managing and improving the underlying business. Legado will invest in privately held, well-established, cash flow generating companies with EBITDA in the range of $2 million to $6 million, and target enterprise value ranging from $10 million to $40 million.
What we are looking for
Legado is looking for Research Associates with an interest in entrepreneurship, financial markets, asset management, and/or fundamental business principles to join the team for Fall 2017!
The skills, roles, and responsibilities of the Research Associate will pertain to, but not be limited to the following:
- Intrinsically motivated, driven, and hard working
- Active interest in Finance and Business; Entrepreneurial spirit
- Proficient command of Microsoft Excel; database maintenance, financial data entry and light financial modeling
- Proficient command of Microsoft Products such as Outlook, Word, etc.
- Flexible school schedule, minimal extracurricular involvements
- Outgoing, jovial personality. Works well in team environments
- 15-20 hours per week
Vario Ventures Inc.
Looking for 2 student interns
About Vario Ventures Inc.
Vario Ventures Inc. (Vario) is seeking hard working undergraduate business students for fall internship positions. Vario is a boutique mergers and acquisition firm focusing on entrepreneurs, specializing in identifying the right next step for small and medium companies, and their investors. Vario was born from VA Angels, one of Canada’s most active angel investment groups since 2003 with 155 members and $50m invested in startups across 5 countries.
What we are looking for
The student opportunity will be to support Vario in all aspects of it’s work. This may include:
- Reconnecting and networking with VA Angels invested companies. The goal of this work is to catch up on how previously invested entrepreneurs are doing, capture good news story we can share, and identify entrepreneurs who might want help with next steps for their business.
- Information package development for engaged entrepreneurs. The goal of this work is to summarize a company’s information (financial, customers & services, intellectual property, team, etc.) into easily understandable information, both in a one-pager teaser, a comprehensive information package, and a Due Diligence eRoom.
- Research target acquirers. The goal of this work is to utilize the Haskayne business library (Thompson Reuters & Capital IQ stations), or other resources, to identify similar transactions and companies, who may be potential acquirers.
- Sales Calls & Emails. The goal of this work will be to engage potential acquirers and generate interest in the Vario clients using the one-page teaser and the comprehensive information package.
- Various internal projects. (1) Vario Ventures is develops monthly publications on learning’s from their current deals. (2) Vario Ventures is planning to develop new Marketing Material highlight some common failures, and some items all entrepreneurs can do (minute book, financials up to date, products & services descriptions, metrics associated with core business) to prepare for exits. (3) Vario Ventures is going to build a ½ Day Training program
Students will work with Vario team members on each of these steps to create valuable learning opportunities and meaningful results!
This internship document is designed to be a guide, not a step-by-step task list. The main objective will be to identify areas where the interns are interested, help them get engaged in work activities, and show meaning traction. Continued communication will be a priority, through all activities, which will allow Vario and the interns to adjust strategy accordingly, if required.
- Approximately 10 hours